Thursday, October 3, 2013

2014: The Year of Sequels

Most every year has a few of them, next year is going to be packed with them. In an earlier post, Coming Soon in March 2014, I mentioned that we were going to see a follow-up to 300, Muppets and A Haunted House. {ALLITERATION ALERT} The year has several sequels in store that are sure to satisfy your cinematic side and stimulate the senses.

The first weekend in April, Captain America: Winter Soldier hits theaters. I'm pretty excited about this one even though it takes place in modern day. I don't know, I kind of liked the 1940's aspect of the first movie, but I guess there's no way to go back in time after Marvel's: The Avengers.
Chris Evans reprises his role as Steve Rogers and you'll also see Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Emily VanCamp, and Dominic Cooper. One actor in this movie who I am super excited about is Robert Redford. He plays a character called Alexander Pierce, a shield agent who {SPOILER ALERT}works as a sleeper agent for the evil organization HYDRA. If this movie is anywhere close to the quality of the first one, I think I'll like it.


That same month, Rio 2 comes out and because I didn't see the first one, I really can't be excited about this second installment. All I know about it is that it's about birds. Oh yeah and it features the voice talents of actors like Anne Hathaway, Jesse Eisenberg, Leslie Mann, Jamie Foxx, George Lopez and perhaps my favorite folk singer and comedian, Jemaine Clement.

The month of May is going to see some very interesting sequels. May 2nd is when The Amazing Spider-Man 2 swings(get it?) into theaters. I suspect this one is going to be pretty good. The whole original cast returns to their respective roles with one important addition, Jamie Foxx. He plays Max Dillon, better known as the villain Electro. Also, Harry and Norman Osborn pop up, Norman being played by one of my favorite actors of all time and Mizzou alumni, Chris Cooper. Hopefully, the writers didn't put in any Saturday Night Fever strutting in this movie. Here's the teaser from Comic-Con:

X-Men: Days of Future Past comes out on May 23rd to the excitement of fan-boys everywhere and their bored or nonexistent girlfriends. I'm not going to lie, I'm super pumped for this movie. I mean, check out these sweet posters! They display Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy along side Ian McKellen and Micheal Fassbender morphed together with their respective cross-trilogy age. Plus, Hugh Jackman is in this one! BOOYAH!!


I was excited to see that Phil Lord and Chris Miller were following up 21 Jump Street with the aptly-named 22 Jump Street. Personally, I loved Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill in the first one which is weird because, as an actor, I HATE Channing Tatum.

My favorite animated movie is also getting a sequel next year. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is set to be released on June 13th. It looks awesome as you can see from the teaser trailer here:

In June, you'll get to see yet another Fast and Furious movie now titled: Fast and Furious 7. Also, a follow up to Rise of the Planet of the Apes called Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

What else you ask? Another movie about Transformers, another Expendables movie (this time with Harrison Ford and Nicholas Cage), another Sin City and more Resident Evil (these two franchises, I could never tell apart.) You'll see another Paranormal Activity in October. There have been so many of those movies, it's getting to where it's not exactly PARA-normal any more, it's just plain normal. Horrible Bosses 2 and the next to last Hunger Games movie comes out in the end of November and then in December the much anticipated conclusion to The Hobbit trilogy come out effectively wrapping up the works of J.R.R Tolkein in a cinematic sense. It's called The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

After Night at the Museum 3, that pretty much wraps up a year filled with sequels and follow-ups. Maybe the year 2015 will have the threquels or fourquels. If they need some fresh Ideas though, Hollywood should read my blog post from the last day of August this year: 2 Movies I Wish Would Be Made.

0 comments:

Post a Comment